A charter school is a free public school in which parents and students, educators, and the community actively choose to participate. Charter schools are governed by a group of parents, community members, and teachers.
What is Lumen Charter High School?
Lumen Charter High School offers a dynamic, integrated, project-based learning environment for students in grades 9-12 in the Ripon Area School District. It will be located within the Ripon High School building.
What are the characteristics of project-based learning?
- integrates subject areas into meaningful, authentic projects
- projects with real world purpose and meaning
- develops higher order thinking skills
- promotes life-long learning
- infuses technology into the classroom
- student-centered learning
- opportunities to work both in groups and individually
- promotes 21st Century skills
What will be taught at Lumen Charter High School?
Lumen Charter High School will include both the core subjects (English, Math, Science, Social Studies) and electives. These subjects will be integrated with each other through seminars. More importantly, Lumen Charter High School will put a strong focus on 21st century skills adapted to a student’s specific needs.
Who will teach in Lumen Charter High School?
The instructional team will consist of current Ripon High School teachers and staff with Dan Tjernagel as principal.
The Lumen Charter High School is located within Ripon High School.
Who can participate in Lumen Charter High School?
Lumen Charter High School is open to all students entering grades 9-12 in the Ripon Area School District.
Yes, students are able to take other courses that include Ripon High School electives, Ripon College classes, online classes, and community engagement activities.
Students will gain valuable real world experiences such as:
- Communicating effectively
- Building a strong portfolio
- Using field-based study methods
- Writing college level papers
Lumen Charter High School graduates will have a Ripon Area School District transcript as well as a portfolio that includes their research, projects, and field experiences.
- Appreciates greater choice and input in their learning
- Thrives in an active learning environment
- Wants to explore topics in-depth
- Likes using a wide variety of technology tools
- Self-motivated learners
What are the benefits of Lumen Charter High School?
The Lumen Charter High School school day provides flexibility. Students will have opportunities to earn credits through integrated seminars, individual projects, and community partnerships.
- Multi-age learning opportunities
- Place-based learning partnerships
- Student self-directed projects
- Technology-infused learning environment
Have more questions about Lumen Charter High School? Contact Dan Tjernagel, principal of Lumen Charter High School and Ripon High School.
Phone: (920) 748 – 4616